The Best High Protein Beauty Smoothie Bowl: 2 Ways
Posted on September 12 2019
LIFE MOVES FAST! And in between doing what seems to be a BAZILLION things all at once, we sometimes forget to care for our body and nourish it with the quality foods it needs to thrive, leaving us tired and hangry. How many times have we spent a majority of the day running on caffeine and adrenaline only to be absolutely ravenous by dinner time and binging on a sleeve of Oreos after dinner? Been there, done that! We get it. Join the club.
While you don’t need to go spent hours going overboard with measuring food precisely to get in your daily nutrients, your body DOES need a sustained amount protein, healthy fats and nutrients to give you energy, healthy hair, skin, nails, bones and heart. And for many women juggling ALL THE THINGS, we need something that is FAST, EASY, and most importantly HEALTHY. In other words, we wonder: What IS the ideal all-in-one meal for someone constantly on-the-go?
Believe it or not, you can drink or slurp your way to healthy hair, a revved up metabolism and stronger muscles. With a high protein beauty smoothie, you can get all the collagen protein, healthy fats, fiber, vegetables and anti-oxidants in one delicious and convenient package. But not just ANY shake will do.
Pre-packaged smoothies from grocery stores or smoothies from juice shops often carry more added sugar than a dozen donuts, and similar holds true by searching foodie blogs from around the net. To help you stay on track, we’ve put together this handy guide to help you better understand WHAT you should be putting in your smoothie and WHEN the best time to enjoy your mouth-watering beauty shake. PLUS, our beauty and fitness experts share two quick, easy and delicious high protein beauty smoothie recipes so you can nourish your body and radiate from within!
The Importance of Protein:
Smoothies are the best for a variety of reasons. They are convenient, easy, and fast – which is perfect for anyone on-the-go. AND they’re a great way to sneak in vital nutrients, vegetables and other good-for-you ingredients into your breakfast, snack, or workout shake. But where many fall short is they don’t incorporate enough PROTEIN into their diets. With protein as the base of your smoothie (especially at breakfast), not only will it boost your metabolism (which can help you slim down, if that happens to be a goal of yours), but it will help you stay full longer. This allows you to resist those snacks between meals.
Studies suggest that it is better to spread your protein intake throughout the day, rather than condensing it all into one large meal. Just because you have a huge dinner with lots of protein doesn’t mean you can get away with skipping a protein-rich breakfast and lunch. Our fitness and nutrition experts recommend getting 20-30g of protein per meal.
How do you make a balanced high protein beauty smoothie?
- High-Quality Lean Protein: You’ll want to take note of your protein source, especially if you’re following certain dietary restrictions. It’s very important to choose a protein that works WITH your body. For example, if you have a sensitive stomach, hydrolyzed proteins can be easier to digest because they’ve been pre-treated with enzymes to break large protein chains into shorter peptides. Specifically designed for women, we recommend collagen proteins as they not only give you the core benefits of any hydrolyzed protein powder, but they also help to revitalize your hair, skin, nails and gut health.
- Liquid Base: Unless you want to break your blender’s blades, all smoothies need a little liquid to combine properly. We like using unsweetened almond or cashew milk as it adds a touch of creaminess without extra calories or sugar. But you can use any variety of unsweetened nut milks or just plain water. Pro Tip: Make sure you’re watching your liquid base as fruit juices tend to have lower nutritional value and are packed with added sugar and carbs. Instead stick to fresh fruit, which is more nutritionally dense and is rich in fiber.
- Fiber-Rich Low-GI Carbohydrates: Speaking of fruit, nature’s candy plays a major role in our High Protein Beauty Smoothie (and not just for the sweetness!). Fruit is an excellent source of fiber and is the “good” kind of carbs that serve as an essential source of fuel to keep us going. If you want to prepare a balanced smoothie that keeps you full longer, AND works with your gut, then high-fiber fruits such as Berries and Bananas are a great option. Even better, berries are loaded with anti-oxidants and bananas are packed with potassium. Win win!
- Veggies: We love to sneak leafy greens into all our smoothies as they add an extra dose of fiber and are essential in providing key vitamins and minerals. Using leafy greens like baby spinach work great in any smoothie because not only are they nutritionally dense, but they are also tender and mild in flavor, so a handful won’t affect the taste of your smoothie.
What’s the best time of day to have a smoothie?
Choosing the correct time to enjoy your delicious high protein beauty smoothie can affect the benefit it has on you and your body:
- First thing in the morning: Fueling your body within the first hour of waking will get your body primed for success. Why? Because you’ll be setting the pattern for your blood sugar for the rest of the day. If you start your day with a balanced blend of protein, fiber and vitamins, you’ll be satiated and won’t be tempted to grab that big pastry or sugary coffee drink later in the day.
- Before a workout: If you’re looking to pack some punch into your next workout but take it easy on your stomach at the same time, you may want to lighten up on the carbs and heavy-up on the protein 30-45 minutes before your workout session. This will help you burn mostly fat as fuel.
- Immediately after a workout: If you find yourself in a rush to get back to your list of to-do’s after a workout DO NOT choose a carb-light smoothie thinking you’re doing yourself any good. After a solid workout, it’s critical that your body and muscles get an ample amount of carbs and protein so your body can recover and perform at its best. Plus, it will keep that post-workout hanger at bay.
Made with the above in mind, high protein beauty smoothies can be a great start to your day and give you all the nutrients you need to keep you going in your quest for greatness. Try these recipes packed with protein, fiber and essential vitamins and minerals to satisfy your taste buds and your stomach. For each recipe, place each ingredient in the order listed and blend until smooth.
Berry Beauty Protein Smoothie:
This shake is packed with protein, anti-oxidants, collagen peptides and probiotics. Ideal for pre or post workout, or can be a quick breakfast, snack or dessert.
12 oz water, almond or cashew milk
2 scoops natural collagen protein
1 cup spinach
2 cups frozen mixed berries
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
262 calories, 30 g protein, 24.6 g carbs, 14 g fiber, 3 g fat (accounts for using water as the fluid)
Peanut Butter Banana Beauty Smoothie:
You’d never know there was a cup of spinach hiding in this decadent shake! Loaded with collagen peptides and healthy fats, this shake is perfect for post workouts (as the potassium in the banana aids with recovery) or can be a quick and easy breakfast or lunch solution.
12 oz water, almond or cashew milk
2 scoops natural collagen protein
1 banana (fresh or frozen)
1 cup of spinach
2 tbsp of natural peanut butter
1 tbsp cacao nibs or dark cocoa powder (optional)
392 calories, 30 g protein, 37 g carbs, 7 g fiber, 16.5 g fat (accounts for using water as the fluid without optional cocoa powder)