Tips to celebrate Galentine's day
Posted on February 04 2020
What is Galentine's day? Here are some fun Ideas on how to plan your special day with your best girlfriends
But first off, what exactly is Galentine’s day?
Galentine’s day was made popular by Leslie Knope from the hit comedy, Parks and recreation. The idea of the day is “Ladies celebrating ladies”
Galentine’s, which is unofficially celebrated the day before valentine’s day, does not have to be looked at as an anti-Valentine’s day…but can be celebrated in addition to that special day for lovers. Because we know you have those special gal pals that deserve your love and attention too?
Ok…so you marked your calendar for February 13th and are excited about the idea of Celebrating “Galentine’s” Here are some cute ideas to host the perfect Galentine’s day with your girlfriends!
Host a low-cost modern tea party. To set your table, make these pretty paper napkin hearts. All you need are red paper napkins and a couple white plates.
- Fold the napkin into fourths.
- Make the bottom of the heart by folding one half of the folded napkin up at the center. Repeat on the other side.
- Flip your folded napkin over then fold down the two corners of each flap (making the rounded top of the heart)
- Flip over and place on the center of a plate and Voila!
Set one napkin heart on each plate. Place silverware or a rose across each heart napkin to finish it off.
To create your Centerpiece:
Trim roses leaving 1 inch of stem attached to the rose.
Fill shallow dish, half full, with small glass gems or marbles
Place roses, in single rows in the dish 1/2 -3/4 filled with water.
Place your centerpiece in the center of your table.Tip: designing lower centerpieces invite conversations, making it a more intimate setting while catching up with your pals.
Nothing says, I love you, bestie! Like a dessert buffet with yummy treats decorated with fresh fruits and roses.
Not a baker? That’s ok. Stop by your local supermarket for a dozen red velvet cupcakes and a small plain cake. Remember, it’s almost Valentine’s day so the stores will be stocked and ready for you. Add fresh fruit, drizzle a little melted chocolate and stick in a couple rolled chocolate wafer sticks, for that personal touch.
While you’re at the store ask for your groceries to be packed in brown paper bags it’s not only good for the environment but It’ll make great wrapping paper for another fun Galentine’s project below.
If you’re a group of DIYers, have the girls over for an all-hands-on-deck crafting session.
Think: glittering, knitting, jewelry-making, or decorating handmade cards and candles. This one I’ll leave up to you since you will want to use what you already have on hand. Use google for inspiration on DIY Valentines crafts.
Don’t worry we are not expecting you to gather your girls without a sharing with you a fun Galantine’s day drink to serve them. Show them how special they are by whipping up a Collagen infused Chocolate covered Strawberry Martini! It’s super easy to make and your friends will be amazed by your thoughtfulness and creativity.
Collagen Infused Chocolate Covered Strawberry Martini Recipe
Why stop with desserts? This martini is the perfect pairing for your sweets and to top it off you are giving your girls the added treat of collagen. Trust me. You will get lots of oohs and aahs for this one.
Makes 2-3 drinks
2 oz chocolate syrup
2 oz Chocolate Vodka
2 oz Strawberry Vodka
3 oz Half and Half
1 scoop of unflavored Collagen like this one
(if you are using collagen packets 1 packet = 1 scoop)
1 c Crushed Ice
Chocolate Covered Strawberry (carefully make a slit in the bottom to rest the strawberry on the rim of the glass)
Add chocolate syrup to Martini glasses.
Pour Strawberry Vodka, Chocolate Vodka and half & half into a cocktail shaker, add collagen. Shake for 10 seconds to make sure the collagen is well dissolved.
Shake vigorously for 30 seconds. (This will ensure proper chilling of the cocktail)
Carefully pour into glasses with chocolate syrup
Garnish with a chocolate covered strawberry
Don’t forget the goodie bags! You know the ones you loved as a little girl? Well they just need your magic touch to become grown-up gifts.
Simply cut the front and backs off of your brown grocery bags (the ones you asked for when picking up your desserts). Use these sheets to wrap small boxes of chocolates
Directions: Place 1 sheet of the paper (from the paper bag) on table with print side up. Wrap box of chocolates - trimming off extra paper to use for the next one. Find any kind of red paper, cardboard, construction paper or old wrapping paper that you have at home to Cut out a red heart to place on each gift. Using an organic string or ribbon, tie a bow around the wrapping and heart cutout. These will make cute gifts to hand out to your “Galentine’s” after the wrap-up of your party.
Now that you are inspired and ready to plan your first Galentine’s day. Be sure to make it a tradition amongst you and your friends. Have fun with it! Take turns hosting and coming up with your own ideas of how to celebrate Galentine’s day.
And finally, …
Let’s not forget about the day that started it all, Valentine’s day! You know… the day for lovers, dining out, Champagne, romance, dancing and maybe even a couple’s bubble bath. Yeah, you probably already have that covered. I’ll just share with you some fun facts
Here are some fun facts you might not know about Valentine’s day
1. The St Valentine who inspired the holiday may have been two different men
2. In all, there are about a dozen St Valentines…plus a pope
3. Valentine is the patron St of beekeepers and epilepsy, among many other things
4. Based on retail statistics about 3 percent of pet owners will give gifts to their pets on this day.
5. About 1 billion Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged each year. This makes it the second largest seasonal card sending time of the year!
6. If you are single don’t despair. You can celebrate singles awareness day (SAD) instead.
Or you could pop over to Finland where Valentines say is called Ystävänpäivä which translates into “friends’ day” it’s more about Remembering your buddies than your loved ones…. but you have a better plan… ; )
7. Physicians of the 1800s Commonly advised their patient to eat chocolate to calm their pining for lost love
8. Although, It’s the most romantic day of the year. It ranks #2 of most popular days to get a proposal on - Christmas day is #1
9. 73 percent of people who buy flowers on this day are men, while only 27 percent are women.
10. 15 percent of U.S. women send themselves flowers on Valentine’s day
11. Over $1 billion worth of chocolate is purchased on this romantic day in the US